- Volunteers contributed over 1,300 hours at 30 workdays
- Volunteers earned FPCC certification as Workday Leader and Brush Pile Burn Boss
- Habitat 2030 and Friends of the Forest Preserves hosted workdays
- Corporate, Scout, and school groups donated their time at many events
- Interns from Chicago Audubon contributed priceless hours managing invasive plants
- Volunteers established a Calling Frog Monitoring route
- Team Busse Buffleheads participated in the FPCC Bird the Preserves contest, observing 199 species of birds
- Volunteers joined the FPCC Adopt-a-Site Program, caring for two new sites at Busse.
- Continued our partnership with Friends of Cycling Elk Grove, Elk Grove High School, and U of I Extension North Cook Master Gardeners
- Our partners from The Nature Conservancy, Audubon Chicago, Friends of the Forest Preserves, Deer Grove Natural Areas Volunteers, and the FPCC supported our Meet Busse Woods event in March
- Hosted an Earth Day event for youth groups with support from U of I Extension North Cook Master Gardeners
- Received training, tools, and support from the Forest Preserves Cook County that enabled us to continue this important work
2016 Friends of Busse Woods Year in Review
All year long, in all types of weather, our hearty and enthusiastic volunteers arrive to restore habitat at Busse Woods. They pull garlic mustard, cut buckthorn, collect seed, and monitor the plants and animals that call Busse home. Thank you, volunteers, for a great year. Can’t wait to see what we accomplish in 2017! To get involved, please contact Friends of Busse Woods or register for one of our workdays. Your contributions are needed more than ever to preserve and protect our lands.
Bookmark the permalink.